Simple to Make. Easier to Eat!
Last month, I was given a small honey-bear filled with Orange Blossom Honey from North Carolina as a gift from a co-worker who was travelling on vacation. I instantly knew upon receiving it that I wanted to bake with it, but didn’t know what… until now!
Granola is one of those things I have always wanted to try to make, simply because of the ability to get creative with the recipe. Think about it. How many different varieties and flavor combinations do you find available at your supermarket? The answer is a BUNCH!
Having decided on Granola, with zero experience making it, I took to the Internet for some tips and best practices. I was a bit overwhelmed by all of the available information, but was lucky enough to quickly come across two article’s that provided me with all the information I needed to develop my own recipe. The first article I found is on the Women’s Day site and has some great tips and ideas for different mix-ins that can be used. The second was a post from the RecipeTin Eats blog that has a great infographic that visually breaks down the basic proportions used for making homemade granola. With this new knowledge fresh in my mind, I came up with my Orange Blossom Honey Granola recipe:
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Bake: 25-30 minutes
- 3 1/2 Cups Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1 Cup Almonds, chopped
- 1/3 Cup Sunflower Seeds
- 1/2 Cup Orange Blossom Honey
- 1/4 Cup Canola Oil
- 1 tsp. Almond Extract
- 1/2 Cup Craisins
- 1/2 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips
- 1 tsp. All Spice
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- Pinch of Salt
Cooking Tip Reminder: Make sure to look and see if any coupons are available for ingredients that you don’t currently have. For this recipe and my cupboard, I was excited to use the following coupons –
- Save $1.50 on any container of Blue Diamond Almonds, 5oz or larger
- Save $1 on one 5oz package of Craisins Original Dried Cranberries (no longer available)
- Instead you could use one of these:
- Save $1 on two 5oz packages of Craisins Original Dried Cranberries
- Save $0.50 on one 5oz package of Reduced Sugar Craisins Dried Cranberries
- Save $0.50 on one 5oz package of Craisins Cherry Juice Infused Dried Cranberries
- Save $0.50 on one 5oz package of Craisins Blueberry Juice Infused Dried Cranberries
- Save $0.50 on one 5oz package of Craisins Pomegranate Infused Dried Cranberries
- Start by pre-heating your oven to 325°F to ensure it is up to temperature by the time you are ready to bake your granola.
- In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients of Oats, Almonds, Sunflower Seeds, All Spice, Cinnamon and salt; set aside.
- In a separate, smaller bowl combine the wet ingredients of Honey, Canola Oil and Almond Extract; Then add to the bowl of dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Next, pour the mixture onto a large greased baking sheet (I used crisco shortening) and press the mixture into a flat even layer either using a spatula or your hands – If you use your hands as I did, be sure to wet them with water so the mixture doesn’t stick to your hands. Once you have an even layer of granola, stick the pan into the pre-heated oven.
- Every 10 minutes or so, take the pan out and give the granola a good stir. Be sure to press it back into an even layer each time before returning to the oven as this will ensure it cooks nice and evenly. Repeat this until the granola is a deep golden brown.
- When the granola is fully cooked, pull it out of the oven, stir in the Craisins and then spread it back into an even layer to cool on the pan.
- Once the granola has cooled completely, stir in the dark chocolate chips and transfer the granola to an airtight container where it can be stored and will stay fresh for a while, but for best results you will want to eat it within a week.
I cannot begin to express just HOW EASY this recipe was to make and how TASTY the resulting granola came out. I am planning to enjoy it as a snack in and of itself and as a topping to my morning yogurt. Tell me, have you ever had a go at making homemade granola? What are your favorite flavor combinations? Please tell me by leaving a reply in the comment section below and be sure to share this delicious recipe with your friends and family by using the social buttons below.